17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, January 02, 2006

You know you are too busy blogging when...



Yup, I had always wondered how babies fell asleep in their high chairs...I guess all those moms are blogging too. "What kind of a mother leaves their baby unattended in a high chair long enough that they fall asleep?" was the kind of person I USED to be, until I had this baby #2. I swear, she has nine lives. In one week the child had I think a half a dozen near death experiences if not more. Just today she ate peanut butter (at 8 months...thank you baby #1) and appeared to be choking on a toy but turns out it was invisible or I will find it in her poo in a few days. Thankfully Dad was in charge for those two.

As for my mom flubs...read on:
1. Putting her on the mat in my bathroom while showering...hearing a large thud and then cry. Discvoring her sitting face down on the floor. Picking her up while still in the shower. Finishing the shower with her sitting on the FLOOR of the shower in full diaper, onesie and footsie pajamas. At least the warm water startled her out of the pain.

2. Getting halfway to Santaland and looking down at my baby who has the WORST case of double pink-eye I have ever seen. Why I didn't realize this before we left the house...I don't know...only to take her to the doctor and realize she has a fever, and an ear infection as well...and yes still has thrush....going on 6 weeks now. Your welcome every other kid who sits on THAT Santa's lap and develops all of the above.

3. Seeing her chewing when I have not given her anything to eat, and promptly removing a teeny tiny miniature strawberry shortcake brush that I am certain could have caused some serious damage if attempted to be swallowed....guess it's time to babyproof.

4. Let me think...did she fall of the bed onto the hard wood floor THIS week or was it last week?

And finally, I can barely write this, she fell out of that same high chair just a few weeks ago. No, she was not strapped in b/c I thought the bar in between her legs was sufficient. She kicked the latch open and the tray fell and it (thankfully) broke her fall. Either she has the soul of a feline or there are angels, and since I hate cats, I believe in the latter.

13 Comments:

  • Max fell asleep in his high chair - and I was not blogging at the time, nor were there any other children I could blame. I CAN in fact blame my mother though, since she was the one that let him get away with not taking a nap even though he was severely jet-lagged and exhausted. She put him in the high chair to eat, he screamed for about 5 minutes, and then kaput, out, gone. I also took pictures - too pathetic / funny to resist.
    posted by Blogger marian at 1/02/2006 04:46:00 PM  



  • I know I could NOT resist taking a photo. I found it funny that her leg was kind of twitching too...and when I picked her up she seemed utterly startled...like she was in a deep sleep. Poor neglected little girl
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/02/2006 05:41:00 PM  



  • My oldest fell asleep in his chair so fast that if you turned around to get a drink, you'd miss it.
    Welcome to the blogging world, so glad you're here!!
    posted by Blogger Mo at 1/03/2006 09:35:00 AM  



  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    posted by Blogger wendysue at 1/03/2006 12:44:00 PM  



  • Oh Wendy...there goes my so-called anonymity.

    But about the 3rd girl, Darby and I were discussing a 3rd child and she wants a boy, but I think if we have a third, a girl sounds like a good idea...any ideas on how I arrange that?
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/03/2006 01:09:00 PM  



  • Don't worry, kage, your anonymity is still intact. . .since I deleted and reposted. . .
    Love your stories, and believe me you are not alone. Those darn 2nd children. My favorite moment with mine? I noticed she was sucking on something while playing with the remote, so I went to check it out only to discover it was a BATTERY!!!! Yikes! Don't worry, she's now almost 5 and still alive. We thought we were so lucky that we added girl #3 to the mix. Where was my mind when we decided that???
    I look forward to coming back to the blog, I'm kage's husbands cousin. . .

    Kage, as for that 3rd baby. We have loved having another girl. Frankly, having a boy would throw me way off. When I was pregnant I was almost convinced it was a boy (you know, lower heart rate, and all that mumbo-jumbo), but Molly told me flat out that Jesus told her it was a girl, so I wasn't arguing with that. And sure enough, during the ultrasound when they said, another girl, Molly looked right at me and said, see??
    posted by Blogger wendysue at 1/03/2006 01:43:00 PM  



  • My son had thrush and he was on the medication that you had to rub in his mouth 4 times a day--can't remember the name. We could never get rid of it that way. Finally, the dr gave us a new medication--I think it's called flucazole (or something like that)--and it cleared up immediately.
    posted by Blogger Belle at 1/06/2006 04:55:00 PM  



  • Your post made me laugh out loud. I always love on America's Funniest Videos when they put the babies (just put those words in the correct order, it's late). They are just so cute. I never used to be a baby person, but the older I get, the more I like 'em.

    Good writing.
    posted by Blogger annegb at 1/07/2006 01:13:00 AM  



  • Yes, the nystatin NEVER worked....and what a pain!? Cleaning out the mouth with guaze then coating the mouth with the stuff 4 times a day. Finally it moved to her bum as a yeast infection that is when they gave me the oral medicine that you wrote...can't spell it...and FINALLY it is gone! It's a shame too, b/c thrush was one thing that motivated me to stop nursing...I didn't want to rub that stuff on my nipples too.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/07/2006 10:45:00 AM  



  • I can remember my oldest falling asleep in his high chair, WHILE EATING. I don't know how he managed that, but he was actually nodding off while continuing to munch on a tomato.
    posted by Blogger Susan M at 1/08/2006 06:05:00 PM  



  • On the subway a few times daughter #1 would only fall asleep if she had a half-consume cracker in her mouth...kids and their quirks!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/08/2006 06:18:00 PM  



  • Thanks for the laughs, ladies. Just found your blog and I'm hooked:)
    posted by Blogger Erin at 1/08/2006 09:58:00 PM  



  • erin r. Great blog. Loved the violin kinse-whatever photo. Thanks for the link too!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/09/2006 05:04:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home