17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Saturday, June 23, 2007

It's not easy being green....


Or is it?

If you follow my other blog, you have read about my recent efforts to go green. I call the posts GRADUALLY GOING GREEN. Here are a few excerpts that I thought worth sharing:

First of all, if you would like to watch a super cute video and get some great tips, just visit here to see my niece informing you!

Here are some ways that I am green right now:
1. I don't use many napkins (call me a slob)
2. I am going to stop taking my receipts at Metrocard Machines and ATMS (thank you lady on Oprah)
3. I re-wear clothes a lot before washing them, especially if I have only worn them a few hours.
4. I am in a good habit of turning off lights.
5. I am in a good habit of running my electronic heater/air conditioner as little as possible.
6. When the weather is agreeable, I exercise outside instead of on an electronic machine.
7. I don't run the tv for background noise.
8. I have appliances that I don't use very often, unplugged.
9. I use public transportation a lot.
10. I recycle everything that is recyclable (and probably some things that are not...oops)
11. I reuse shopping bags and grocery bags as much as possible. My favorite uses for the plastic grocery bags (that soon I won't have around the house) are for airplane trips, I collect my kids garbage in them throughout the flight, and then throw it all away at the end, and to collect my recyclables during the week. And if I had a dog, I am sure the bags would be used for the poop.
12. I pay many bills electronically.

In one week I:
1. took the stairs going down (I live on Floor 5), as much as possible.
2. Did not take my metrocard or ATM receipt.
3. Said NO to a bag whenever I could slip my item in my purse, or otherwise carry it.
4. Bought a new vaccuum that requires no bags.
5. Did not put any of my produce in bags at the supermarket.
6. Reused bags from GAP and Urban Outfitters until they were unusable.
7. Used my cloth towels to do most of the cleaning, as opposed to paper towels.
8. Continued Potty Training. If the babe is potty-trained soon, then I will have spared the landfills a year of diapers. And using 1 or 2 pull-ups a day is less waste than 5 or 6 diapers.

I find that if you lovingly remind those around you to save the earth through your words and example, that it can rub off:
This week my DH came home with paper towels made from recycled paper. This is because he loves me, because he rolls his eyes a lot when I say with energy: "Save the Earth", especially when it involves NOT taking the elevator. He also tried to purchase CFLS at the local drugstore, but they were out.

As of today, we have replaced EVERY light bulb in our home with CFLS. MMW recently posted about CFLs and a side of them that is not all sunny and bright. To read that, click here.

Last night my husband came home from the grocery store and told me the two guys ahead of him in line were using reusable bags and he thought maybe he would like to get some of those so that I would like him more. So tell all your single-guy friends that it is the new way to pick up totally hot chicks.

One last thing, look for the new Discovery Cable Channel: Planet Green coming soon. And in the meantime, you can watch this cute little show about green ideas.

SHOPPING LIST:
Reusable Bags
Produce Bags
Cool/Nifty Reusable Bags
Green Home Products
Stop Junk Mail-paper waste
Domino Magazine Green Websites List
Clean Green
Pledge to save CO2

9 Comments:

  • I read a lot about people who have gone green - like completely green. And while I look at their stories and say to myself - "I would really like to live that way someday", but it all seems very overwhelming because I think to myself, if I am using reusable bags and buying organic produce, I should really be wearing organic clothing and buying local and riding my bike everywhere (the latter of which I am not quite ready to take on).

    I love your idea of gradually going green because it starts with just developing a few simple green habits which then lead you to new green habits and you don't end up biting off more green than you can chew. And it's good to remember that the little stuff helps too.

    I love your story of dh wanting to have his own reusable grocery bags. I feel a new market opening up for some really cool reusable bags.

    Thanks for sharing all these great ideas and links! ANd your niece's video is way cute.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 6/23/2007 08:34:00 AM  



  • Wow, thanks for all this great info. and the links! I'm with Carrie on the "gradual" thing. Sometimes it's easy not to do something b/c it seems so overwhelming to even start. Your post helps! Thnx.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 6/23/2007 01:53:00 PM  



  • I almost hate admitting it...but I am best at being green when it is self-serving....(ie) I love my cleaner, plastic bag-free kitchen, I love the money we save having one car and using energy efficient bulbs, etc. and I always love a trip to the farmers market or a bike ride. When the alternatives are harder (trying to clean a peanut butter jar to recycle it) or more expensive, I'm not so good at being green.

    It is nice, however, after growing up in Oregon and being called a tree-hugger for most of my life to get some vindication with this whole environmental movement that is going on. GO GREEN!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 6/23/2007 04:54:00 PM  



  • I appreciate this post. I'm not quite ready for cloth diapers, but I would like to take more smallish steps toward greendom. An old friend of mine has a website/small business with lots of resources for being healthy and green: wholepeopleliving.com
    posted by Blogger Brittany at 6/24/2007 02:48:00 PM  



  • Yay green! I have been using my back pack to carry my grosheries. I can carry more and my hands are free to open doors, grab mail or hold someones hand.

    It is pretty easy to forget your resuseable bags so keep them in your car if you have one.

    My favorite thing to reuse plastic bags for is sending packages. You ball them up and they protect what is inside, just like packing peanuts.
    posted by Blogger Helen at 6/25/2007 10:12:00 AM  



  • One more thing, MAC cosmetics has a great recylcling program: bring in 6 used products for a free lipstick....going tomorrow to get the shade: FEEL SO FINE
    posted by Blogger Kage at 6/25/2007 02:26:00 PM  



  • Brittany-

    Don't be scared by cloth diapers! They're really easy and wonderful to use. My baby isn't too old, so admittedly I haven't been using them terribly long, but I love them so far. And honestly, disposables were a pain. I used them the first few weeks because of the meconium (and my mother kept buying them for me), and he kept having blowouts all the time. He's had exactly two since switching to the cloth, and one of them was today because he's pretty much outgrown his first diaper covers.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/25/2007 10:59:00 PM  



  • oddly (or not so?) enough, i have a very similar post in my "drafts" that i'm still working on. i'm wondering two things:
    1) what do you think about Method brand stuff? (that's what i'm gradually trying to afford!), and
    2) my understanding is that cloth diapers aren't necessarily better, because of all the crap (pardon the pun) you "have" to use to clean them "properly" (whatever that means).
    thanks!
    love ya'lls blog!!
    posted by Blogger erin at 6/30/2007 06:32:00 PM  



  • i decided to try and not use plastic grocery bags. i got a reusable small shopping bag with it's own little case and clip at the container store for about 4.95 and i have clipped it in my pocketbook (which makes it easy to use). i feel really good about doing that one thing and i just got an email from a friend who told me that because i spoke to her about that, she got reusable bags in the supermarket and the lady behind her ended up getting some too. if we can all do a little, maybe more people will notice and see that it is easy to do.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/23/2008 02:30:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home