17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, June 11, 2007

Yoga with Olive

It has been YEARS since I did yoga regularly. Since I have recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol, and I personally blame it on stress, I decided to try to do some yoga again. (I am also trying to eat LESS ice cream and full-fat dairy products, more orange juice, and multi-grain delicacies...)

I pulled out my 22-minute Rodney Yee Power Yoga tape, and put it in my daughter's VCR, b/c it is the only one in the house, and proceeded to do yoga in her bedroom.

She stood next to me in Mountain Pose, hands in Namaste pose, wearing her tinkerbell dress up. She did pretty well following, hands up, down, forward bend, plank, cobra, dog pose.

As I continued to do variations of the Salute to the Sun Series, Olive ran back and forth underneath me while in dog pose, ran around me in circles during lunges, tried to OPEN my legs so that she could go through, during mountain pose, and then tried some poses herself.

I could hear her exhaling every once in awhile, when she heard me do it. During the pigeon lunge, she popped a squat on my back leg, making it most difficult for me to return to downward dog. I didn't mind all of this, I actually found it to be funny. The problem is that it is difficult to do yoga while giggling.

About halfway through she started demanding PEACHES in her soft and delicate (sarcasm) way: PEACHES! PEACHES! PEACHES!

I told her I would get her some when my yoga was over.

Next came: NO DANCE. STOP IT. NO DANCE, as she tried to get me to stop yoga-ing. While I did my sitting forward bends, she climbed on my back, which actually was ok too, because it deepened the stretch.

I just found the whole thing to be quite hilarious as I tried to connect with the earth, find a calm and happy place, and Olive was running around as the anti-yoga-tinkerbell-ite. NO DANCE!


7 Comments:

  • That's so inspiring! I think I will get out my Rodney Yee dvd in a little while and join you and Olive. =)
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/11/2007 12:10:00 PM  



  • I've tried to work out with Tyler around and gave up that idea rather quickly. Basically because I found that it became a game rather than an actual work out. Then I felt like I had to work out AGAIN to make up for the work out that I had done half-heartedly. And who want to work out twice in one day :)
    posted by Blogger Beth at 6/11/2007 01:34:00 PM  



  • That is really cute...I guess exercising with your toddler could be a good bonding experience.

    I'm with Beth though...when I've tried it, I don't get much of a workout and I'm usually too tired and unmotivated to do it again for real.

    Plus, exercise (even more than for health and weight issues right now) is my UNSTRESSOR and I want UNBOND with my kids during that time!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 6/11/2007 03:22:00 PM  



  • That's so cute. I tried "looking through" a yoga dvd a while back with Abby (she was probably young 3s) and now, a year later, having never done yoga since, she'll get in a funny pose and announce, "I'm doing a yoga!"
    posted by Blogger Katie at 6/13/2007 06:11:00 AM  



  • My SIL started working out and her routine included ab crunches. She called her toddler over to demonstrate how he does crunches. He's got the right area of the body, but the action is just inverted, so instead of crunches, he does a series of pelvic thrusts.

    Melinda
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/13/2007 10:19:00 AM  



  • My 5 year old did yoga once a week in preschool and now he can't wait to show it off to people. Kind of weird to realize I have a total yuppie kid...
    I love to do Pilates, but the kids just see me as a big moving jungle gym, so it's hard to accomplish anything other than wrestling with them in the living room. That's exercise right?
    posted by Blogger Mo at 6/13/2007 05:43:00 PM  



  • Hey, at least you tried. I don't think anything can be relaxing when there is a 2 year old involved.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 6/14/2007 07:48:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home