17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, June 04, 2007

Today I Gave Myself A Break

Today I baked four loaves of banana bread, retired my oven until fall and officially declared this summer the 'Summer O' Trader Joes' prepared meals.

Today I put down my lesson plans and declared that I've been teaching long enough to wing the rest. Instead, the boys and I went swimming.

Today I threw my tools and paint brushes into a closet and decided that my kitchen cabinets could wait to be painted until next fall when Noe is back in preschool and there is less fun to be had. And if our summer guests think our new home sucks rocks, well, then they can stay somewhere else the next time they are in DC!

Today I took my bike instead of my hot, fumey car to run morning errands. Errands Done + Exercise Done = No Guilt!

Tonight (after the boys are in bed and I finish this post) I am going to turn off my email, turn off my phone, turn off the television, and read a good book in my round chair next to an open window before the summer evening breeze is a distant June memory.

9 Comments:

  • I feel better just reading that.
    Time to make my own list.
    posted by Blogger Em at 6/04/2007 04:27:00 PM  



  • LOVE it!

    Today, I took a nap while my children slept instead of doing work. No guilt here.

    Today I stopped at Starbucks and got my fave hot chocolate and really savored it with the 65 degree San Fran morning.

    And tonight I will go to bed early and sleep ALL night long...
    posted by Blogger Sara at 6/04/2007 06:04:00 PM  



  • June is one of my biggest work months, I take my breaks in Jan/Feb....but thanks for the reminder of how great those months are!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 6/04/2007 06:28:00 PM  



  • Great post. I think I should try to find ways to give myself little breaks everyday! I guess I do since my family basically lives off of Trader Joe's. My DH works super long hours and by the time Friday rolls around I find that the only way to get thru that long day is to give myself little treats.... buying a trashy magazine, renting a movie, getting ice cream. Giving yourself a break is definitely important.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 6/04/2007 09:07:00 PM  



  • Today I spent all of SJ's nap time finishing a book for a book group discussion tonight. I loved having an excuse to read for over an hour and a half in one day.

    Thanks, Jen, for the inspiration to take breaks and the book recommendation.
    posted by Blogger sunny at 6/05/2007 12:46:00 AM  



  • Jen, I love your post because it's about much more than just taking a break, it's about taking opportunities to break from your routine - whatever it is-- and list of "To do's" to enjoy life's little moments.

    I love summer and I love the book you are reading. I am interested to hear your take on it.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 6/05/2007 09:37:00 AM  



  • Fun post! I was raised by a mother who preferred spontaneous adventurous fun moments with her kids to a structured routine and I really value that. This post inspires me to not only do that for my son, but for myself as well.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 6/05/2007 01:37:00 PM  



  • Jen, that's an awesome book your reading. My brother has Autism and so I really connected with the character. Funny too.
    posted by Blogger Mia at 6/05/2007 02:07:00 PM  



  • It's so lovely to do that once in awhile isn't it? Then, the more you do it- teh better you feel... weird how little things- like turning off rings, is so freeing and smile bringing! :) I hoep you do it more often!
    posted by Blogger Melzie at 6/13/2007 07:32:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home