17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, June 15, 2007

A Father's Day Gratitude List

So Father's Day is here. Last year my son was about 5 months old at this time, and as time has passed I find myself being even more grateful for the wonderful qualities that my DH has in helping to raise our son. Here are a few (in random order) and believe me, there are many, many more.

1. Almost every single morning when our son T wakes up, DH is up with him. I am NOT a morning person. He is not a morning person either, but he is MORE of a morning person than I am. For that extra half hour of sleep I am eternally grateful.

2. No one rough houses with T like his dad does. I may think that I'm good at throwing T around or playing "airplane", but no one is as good at it as dad is. And NO ONE makes T laugh harder than his dad does. That is awesome.

3. DH is hands on with the household chores. Just last weekend we BOTH took two hours out of our Saturday and cleaned the apartment top to bottom. If he sees something needs to be done in the house he does it. I'm so grateful for a DH who realizes how helpful it is to me as mom when he jumps in and helps maintain our home.

4. He honors his priesthood and has spiritual goals for our family. He is dilligent in his callings. He is an amazing spiritual example for our son.

5. He is by far the more flexible parent in our partnership. I get thrown off when plans change at the last minute or when I walk into a surprise toddler mess. He goes with the flow.

6. When I'm feeling insecure about motherhood he always reassures me that I am "the best mom". And he can always tell when I need a girls night out or a pedicure. Thank goodness for a husband who believes in me and knows when I need a little pick-me-up.

7. He's not afraid to act like a kid. He loves to introduce T to new things.... dancing to music, playing "basketball", watching cartoons, happymeals. I can just see the future daddy/son outings to Lakers games and Taco Bell.

8. He is nuturing, patient, even-tempered and not afraid to show a more sensitive side to his son. He is a great example of a loving father & husband to our little boy, and as Dr. Phil says the biggest influence in a child's life is their same sex parent. I can't imagine choosing a better father for T (and I'm grateful to have had the smarts to do so!).

So that's a start. How about you? When you think about your husband (or father) what are you grateful for? What is on your gratitude list this Father's Day?

3 Comments:

  • I'm grateful that even though it's Father's Day weekend, DH watched the kids while I went out to lunch with some girlfriends! That was awesome. I'm indebted to him for that today. I also love that no matter what time he comes home from work he always finds the energy (somehow) to play with the kids, or take a family walk. I love that. I got a good one....
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/16/2007 12:42:00 PM  



  • Great post. Today I am very grateful that my hubby seems to know when I need a break from a couple of very cranky little ones. Thank goodness he is in tune with that. And reading this post makes me realize that I probably need to spend more time on all of those things I'm grateful for. It's easy to get caught up in your gripes! And yes, I agree that dads somehow have tons of energy to rough-house. Maybe it's a guy thing... But it's always fun to watch (and join in).
    -AJ
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6/16/2007 12:47:00 PM  



  • AJ--I think it's sort of fun to watch the rough housing. I love the laughing but I'm always cringing. Like, please don't let the fun end in crying, gooseggs, or stitches!
    posted by Blogger Katie at 6/20/2007 09:37:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home