17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, July 10, 2008

BPA

Everyone and their mother (get it) is having newborn babies right now.

I am not one of them, but due to the high populace of babies around me, and because I have a new niece, my radars are up for newborn stuff. It's fascinating how things change so much in 6 and even 3 years....having a newborn today would be different from my first two newborns...already!?

This article raises the latest in baby Issues. It also links to the specific affects of BPA on humans.

The affects are not good. Endometriosis and Breast Cancer stood out to me when I read over the article. Doesn't it seem that there has been quite an increase of those conditions? Wouldn't it be great if we could trace it back to what kind of bottles patients were fed on in infancy? I mostly used the liners for #1 baby, though I do not know if they were BPA-free, and I used Avent for #2. I figure, I have sufficiently exposed my little ones to the bad stuff.

The good side is that my children did not use bottles past one year, and I did not heat up their milk like crazy all-the-time, and very rarely did I heat up the sippy cup. And now I have switched to Sigg bottles, so it's a non-issue.

So, all you moms of newborns out there, have you made the switch to BPA-free. Are you wigged out by these new reports? What's your status?

6 Comments:

  • I will be a first time mom in the winter, and am planning on using glass bottles. Also, I'm doing research on BPA free pacifiers, teethers and toys. I know it's hard to avoid it in everything and all toys, but I figured that I should try to avoid it in the things that spend a significant amount of time in their mouths.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 7/11/2008 08:03:00 AM  



  • i'm always concerned about stuff like that, but fortunately my breasts are bpa-free! my big girls use stainless steel water bottles (we prefer klean kanteens over sigg bottles) and the toddler has a klean kanteen sippy. we've been successful in phasing out the plasticware and use glass instead of tupperware now. i have stainless steel containers for snack-y things. we've never used pacifiers, so no worries there, and we aim for wooden teethers and soft toys and the likes. i don't think we have any plastic baby toys left?

    it was interesting when these reports started coming out... everyone thought we were weird or old-fashioned before, but now it's like we've always been on the cutting edge!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 7/11/2008 09:14:00 AM  



  • Thanks for the links, which led me to a great website (Z's report on BPAs in infant care products) where I could easily look up whether or not the products I'm currently using have BPA's. This is one issue I haven't tried to tackle yet, mostly because I've been overwhelmed with other things and I haven't actually purchased these items since the reports came out.

    I was happy to find out that our Gerber sippy cups are BPA-free, which is really nice since they work better and are easier to clean than any others I've tried. Also, the plastic dishes from IKEA that the kids use are also BPA-free.

    Our Avent pacifiers are not BPA-free, but I'm pretty sure our Nuk ones are, and our others might be. (They have winnie-the-pooh characters on them, and are made by RC2 corporation. Anyone know?)

    Unfortunately, the Avent bottles we have are not BPA free (yes, I did already know this, but they're what we had already). My baby takes Avent bottles really well, but I need to buy some more (we only have three nipples, the others having been chewed to shreds by his older brothers), so I'm thinking of buying BPA-free bottles. Does anyone have any suggestions of BPA-free bottles that are like Avent bottles?
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 7/11/2008 10:46:00 AM  



  • Oh! I forgot about all my ikea dishware...glad it's ok...here is a bottle I found on a quick google search:

    http://www.newbornfree.com/
    posted by Blogger Kage at 7/11/2008 12:02:00 PM  



  • Things like this overwhelm me. I did find this website (www.safemama.com) that had lists of sippy cups, bottles, teethers, and pacifiers that were BPA free. I was concerned about the pacifier my baby girl uses all the time (Nuk) and it is BPA free. Also, the sippy cup my toddler uses (Playtex Insulator) is also BPA free. I still use Avent bottles, but she only has a bottle maybe once every two weeks. If she had a bottle more often I would switch. Anyway, I thought that website was very easy and helpful.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 7/11/2008 10:36:00 PM  



  • The Born Free plastic bottles (BPA free) are great! The plastic liners for Playtex nursers are also BPA free. I used both types for my son (21 months) and will use them again for my second due in October.

    I purchased all my Born Free bottles, nipples, and, sippy cups at Whole Foods.

    I was hesitant about glass because of breakage (we have a tile kitchen floor and have lost many dinner plates).

    PS-About Tupperware...they list on their website what type of plastic each product is so you can know if their is BPA in it. I personally don't use Tupperware to reheat foods (BPA free or not), but I love my modular mates in the pantry (BPA free).
    posted by Blogger Melanie at 7/13/2008 11:00:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home