17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sick

I have been sick since Thursday. I have had a fever since Thursday.

I went to the doctor on Friday and was told I have a virus and to rest and drink plenty of fluids. Well, there was no resting for me on Friday because I had three auditions and kids to take and pick up from school....but even as I struggled through the day on tylenol and albuterol, I vowed to rest all day Sat and Sun.

I let my DH sleep in on Saturday morning since I had gone to bed extra early. I made breakfast for the kids and then fell asleep on the couch for several hours. By the time I woke up the house had been cleaned, laundry done and kids fed. It was a mom-sick-day miracle. When I was finally up and about and trying to contibute a bit my DH was on the computer. I kept asking him a question here and there about groceries and kids and stuff. He was giving me very short answers and not making eye contact and I wasn't feeling the love. I was trying to figure out what I had done wrong to be treated in that way. Finally with his angry voice and fists clenched tightly to the heavens he exclaimed: "I have been cleaning the house and doing the laundry and feeding kids all day and I haven't even showered and I just want 10 minutes to myself!"

If I hadn't been sick I might have collapsed in mad laughter right there. But I was ill and my feelings were a bit hurt so instead I just said: "I understand honey."

As much as I truly hate being sick, I think it's nice to let the spouse experience a day-in-the-life every once in a while. Little did he realize that the day before I had to get both kids to school without a car (subwaying it in the winter and sick with a virus is not good times), had to bust my butt to get in to see the doctor (remember, it was a no car day), then had to put my makeup on while riding the subway in order to make it in time for my first audition. All three auditions I attended without showering and with some oil in my hair from a blessing I had been given in the middle of the night the night before that. I was trying to make the oil look like some sort of new hair product situation....and I did not get my shower in until about 5:30 that night.

So, truly I do understand!

And thanks honey for all that you did to help me get rest and healing this weekend. I look forward to returning the favor when you come down with it in a few days.


8 Comments:

  • I LOVE this story!!! My DH keeps it pretty cool with the boys, but once in awhile when he has had them for an extended period of time he gets short and frustrated and I just have to laugh.
    posted by Blogger Jen at 2/17/2008 06:31:00 PM  



  • My husband has changed my babies diaper 2 times. The baby is 5 months old. I don't know what he would do if he had him for very long. And I have a very active 3 year old. What a great husband. I think sometimes we are made sick just so our spouses can appreciate all that we do, or at least should do.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 2/17/2008 06:55:00 PM  



  • I told my hubby this story and he just smiled a knowing smile. :) Yep, he's been through the wringer with our kids several times now (good thing, since he's had 7 years to practice), and so he has a nice appreciation for what I do everyday.
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 2/17/2008 09:20:00 PM  



  • Oh, Kage! Your posts always make me smile and laugh out loud. So true! Do our husbands really have any idea? I'm a bit jealous, though. I was recently sick for almost two weeks with that darn cold, fever, virus thing and is my house clean? No! Do I still do most of the kids work while I'm sick? Yes! Lucky you! :)
    posted by Blogger LJ at 2/17/2008 10:20:00 PM  



  • My husband is pretty good at keeping the kids entertained (i.e. watching movie after movie) so I can rest but the house definitely suffers. He's been left to watch kids before for a couple days and always gets a new appreciation for what I do. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long...
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 2/17/2008 10:49:00 PM  



  • I have to say I too am I lucky girl when it comes to this sort of thing. When I am sick he takes over. When I am overwhelmed (truly overwhelmed, not my daily overwhelmed) he will take over. He's great that way.
    But a very similar thing happened the last time I was super sick and he had Luc and the house for two straight days. It made me chuckle...but I had the audacity to blurt out "see what it's like to be me?" oops...

    Hope you are 100% soon Kage!
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 2/18/2008 07:02:00 AM  



  • DH and I always seem to get sick at the same time, which is the WORST. How do you decide who is sicker and who has to deal with the kids? My two trips to the ER during the last sickness sealed the deal for me that time.

    I really hope you will take it easy. I know it's not easy, but you have to take care of yourself!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 2/18/2008 08:23:00 AM  



  • My DH also stepped it up last week when I was down with the flu, it's wonderful to have a great guy (who all of a sudden empathizes with you.0
    posted by Blogger Carina at 2/18/2008 11:09:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home