17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, February 04, 2008

On Growing Grey


This was originally posted in August, but I have moved it up the Queue to now, because the man who inspired this post passed away yesterday, and I have nothing more to say besides this post, except. I will miss you Grandpa.

When I am wrinkled with grey hair and beautiful and wise

I hope that I am not only alive but living.

I am sitting here listening to my Grandpa sing "Froggy Went a Courtin'" while playing the guitar. It is on my SUNDAY MUSIC playlist on my ipod. I have never met a man quite like him. He is in his 80's and he is full steam ahead, living his life. He is still learning, still teaching, still serving, still involved in his community, still playing gigs, still breathing.

I don't see him very often, but I know that he intends to live until the day he dies. He has survived heart attacks, open heart surgey and a mini stroke. He cares deeply about his deceased wife and his family. When we are with him, our hope is buoyed, our commitment to each other and to our family is renewed, and we leave better people than when we came. Our family reunion was last summer, but my daughter and I were just talking about it the other day, and last night a friend brought up a farm where we had part of our reunion, and he has been on my mind ever since.

When I am getting on in years and filled with energy and vigor, and my children are raised, and I am a rocking hot grandma, I hope for a few things.

First, I hope not to forget that I wrote this. I am thinking if I store it in my important documents folder, that it will abide.

Second, I hope that I am not a burden to my family, but I also don't want to feel abandoned. I hope that if my husband passes before me, that I will be able to grow old with friends or my sisters. There is a reason why I loved the Golden Girls so very much....that would just be so fun.

Third, knowing what it is like to be living my life, and how far I am extended, I know that when I am old, my posterity will not be focused on me. Despite that, I hope to be technology-saavy enough to be able to write to my children and grandchildren individually. I am pretty sure I will have time for this. Even if they don't have time to read my emails or write me back, they will know that I am there, that I care, and someday when they are 28, they will understand what an important example that was to them.

Fourth, in order to write to my posterity, I will need to stay up on my current events, so I hope that I can stay well educated about the present, and follow India Arie's advice: "And if Old People would talk to
Young People, it would make us
Better People, all around....
(Yes it would)"

I hope that I will be not only alive, but LIVING until I continue living without my rockin hot grandma body. And I have that hope because of my Rockin Hot Grandpa's Example. Thanks BJ.

12 Comments:

  • What a great post to read today. Thank you.
    posted by Blogger Linz at 8/26/2007 02:15:00 PM  



  • Your grandfather sounds like an amazing person. I love this post...I've also never thought of the idea of rockin' a hot grandma body! LOL :-)
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 8/27/2007 10:02:00 AM  



  • I loved reading this post Kage (made me kind of wish for living grandparents though). I hope I am still living when I'm old and grey too. Anything else seems too boring And I will say from personal experience in my family, my mom has worked really hard to get up to date with e-mail (and she even has a blog) so she can keep talking to all the youngin's. And I have seen her share her stories and the great effect it has had on her grandchildren.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 8/27/2007 02:16:00 PM  



  • Oh, and P.S. my mom is in her 70's - just to give you a better idea of the gap she is overcoming when it comes to technology .
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 8/27/2007 02:17:00 PM  



  • Thanks for the post today. He's in our hearts forever!
    posted by Blogger ReeSe at 2/04/2008 07:53:00 AM  



  • oh honey, I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. He sounds like an amazing man who has influenced you, and it's always hard to lose the ones we love. xoxo from me.
    posted by Blogger marian at 2/04/2008 08:59:00 AM  



  • I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 2/04/2008 09:09:00 AM  



  • What a wonderful post. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    posted by Blogger RCH at 2/04/2008 10:10:00 AM  



  • Old and gray will eventually catch us all but when I view your Grandfather's picture, it only masked his skin, not the youth which reflects from his inquiry.
    Sorry for your loss.
    posted by Blogger Ken at 2/04/2008 11:23:00 AM  



  • This post was fun to read and was very inspiring as I thought about what I would be like when I'm old and grey and have grandchildren. We should truly savor every moment we have with our older loved ones. I still learn so much from my grandparents who are in their nineties. Best wishes to you and your family as you get through this time of your grandfather's passing. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.
    posted by Blogger LJ at 2/04/2008 01:16:00 PM  



  • Lovely post. I"m so sorry for your loss...
    posted by Blogger Sara at 2/04/2008 03:14:00 PM  



  • I love this picture--he has fun written all over him. My heart goes out to you at this time of his passing.
    posted by Blogger Katie at 2/05/2008 10:36:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home