17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Moments from the Classroom

Every once in a while, especially as my child is now in school, I get flashes of memories from school days gone by.

I decided to record them because they really are just fleeting moments and so brief:

Kindergarten:
stealing necklaces from the dress up box
showing the other kids in the class a barbie's naked boobs
trying to or perhaps succeeding in kissing a boy named Dominick
Octopus: a memory of my teacher showing us some Octopus, the tentacles, and for some reason kids eating it from a jar? I did not eat it. This one might be a dream I had...

1st Grade:
My teacher, Mrs. Discipio letting me touch her belly when the baby kicked. One time she let me be the first one to feel, and she made her way around the whole classroom.
I have a memory of my mom as the room mom and not liking that we had different last names

2nd Grade:
Being the first one done with my 100 problems math quick quiz..walking up to the teachers desk to prove I was first...getting them all right.
A teacher who in the halls always said shhhhhhhhT , instead of SHHHHHHHHH. I always thought she was swearing.
See my second grade teacher the summer after 2nd grade, smoking at a public pool. I made sure she didn't see me.
My second grade teacher giving me a ride home from school from one suburb to a few over...for some reason I do not believe this would happen/be allowed anymore...she didn't smoke in the car ; )

3rd Grade:
My most embarrassing moment in my class room when I asked my teacher: "What's a fad?" and she replied: "You don't know what a FAD is?" in a very high school you're an idiot tone.
Studying South Korea because it was our classes country in our school's Olympics. We were assigned this country because our teacher was adopting a baby from there.
My team winning Battle of the Books. I only read one of like 20 books, but I always knew the answers for that one when the questions came up.

4th Grade:
Election Year. Wearing a BUSH/QUAYLE XL t shirt to school, often.
Baby Chicks

5th Grade:
Saying Pledge of Allegiance in front of the whole school on the first day of school, feeling important.
Chewing on my knuckle-sized wart located on my middle fingers bottom knuckle....until I got it burned off. DISGUSTING
At a school assembly, our guest speaker asked for a brave girl volunteer. I was picked and he put a palm-sized tarantula in my hand. I had to hold onto it and show every kid in that gym, the whole school...one by one. I became unafraid of spiders for life on that day.
Getting picked to play a mini basketball game at the halftime of the High School basketball game. Our PE teacher was the coach...he picked girls that were good at basketball. And so began and ended my basketball career, all in one night.

6th Grade:
Creating Gulf War Journals
Not making the volleyball team: All my friends did....oh the devestation
Making the school musical. None of my friends did. It changed my life.
Singing a song instead of saying a speech for my Student Council Campaign. I won!


22 Comments:

  • So...do you want us to share memories, too? What is the point of the post? [besides the entertainment value, of course! :)]
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 1/17/2008 09:14:00 AM  



  • cheryl, harsh.

    Write whatever you want! Or not at all!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/17/2008 02:15:00 PM  



  • I liked your post! The kindergarden barbie boob flash...hahaha priceless.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/17/2008 02:29:00 PM  



  • I love your post, and the fact that these memories are part of who you are today. And I think you are right - a teacher today probably shouldn't give a ride home to one of their students. What a sad commentary on the world we live in. Now I'll have to see what I remember from school all those many decades ago.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/17/2008 02:35:00 PM  



  • I peed my pants in computer class during 2nd grade. I'm not sure why. I just peed in my chair and then got up and walked away. There was a puddle in the chair and on the floor. I just tied my sweatshirt around my waist for the rest of the day and I don't think anyone noticed.
    posted by Blogger brenbot at 1/17/2008 03:17:00 PM  



  • I remember peeing my pants during show and tell (i think I was showing one of our rabbits or chickens). I got to go home since my mom was there. I can't remember what grade it was.
    posted by Blogger tamrobot at 1/17/2008 03:18:00 PM  



  • brenbot, that reminds me that I totally peed my pants, too! In third grade. I even remember the outfit I was wearing. And it was all because I was too scared to ask if I could go to the bathroom --- WHAT?! I was so shy and self conscious back then I guess. It was at the very end of the day and I went home on the bus and everything. I have no idea if anyone noticed... probably they did.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 1/17/2008 03:28:00 PM  



  • I never PEED, but I did get puked on on the bus on the way home from Outdoor Ed and I just threw away the sweatshirt that got the puke on it.

    I also forgot my other embarrasing moment....
    I was in math working in groups and I said: "What verse?" (as in scripture) instead of "What number?" and my friend replied: We're not talking music here silly. I loved her...b/c I was embarrassed about the scripture slippage. (is that a word, slippage?)
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/17/2008 03:50:00 PM  



  • What a great memory you have! It helped me remember my own fun moments in school (since we are about the same age). I can see why the junior high musical changed your life! Anyway, fun to read...
    posted by Blogger LJ at 1/17/2008 03:54:00 PM  



  • kage, I was serious in my question. I didn't want to assume. I'm sorry you took my comment the wrong way, and I apologize for it.
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 1/17/2008 06:36:00 PM  



  • You are so good at remembering! I am so terrible. Here are my most vivid memories of elementary school:

    1. When Billy gave me a heart shaped shell necklace on the last day of Kindergarten.
    2. Eating lunch all by myself everyday in kindergarten because I went to 1st grade reading instruction which made me miss my Kindergarten lunchtime. I hated it so much.
    3. Getting in trouble on the last day of 4th grade and having to copy page 386 from the dictionary as punishment.
    4. Sitting together with the entire 6th grade class and watching Ivan and Stacy (the most "advanced" 6th graders) make-out in front of the backstop.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 1/17/2008 06:56:00 PM  



  • cheryl, apology accepted...just giving you a hard time...
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/17/2008 07:05:00 PM  



  • Trying out for the talent show in 3rd grade by singing "like a virgin" by Madonna. I had no idea what the song meant, but I could tell the teachers were a little confused.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/17/2008 08:23:00 PM  



  • Just found this blog and I'm so glad!

    The "Like a Virgin" comment above made me laugh out loud. I think a girl did a Madonna song in our 6th grade talent show. I was clueless! I do remember one recess in 2nd grade when I threw a piece of bark at a boy I had a crush on (he was in 3rd). It hit him in the eye, he told on me, and I think that was my first broken heart (many more since then but none involving flying objects).
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/17/2008 11:00:00 PM  



  • CRAP! I put the wrong URL as the link to my name (above). Total blonde moment. Sorry if anyone clicked and was confused, or worse, offended. (I just checked that blog myself and it's got a bit of a potty mouth.) The correct link should have taken you to georgietees.blogspot.com. I better head to bed before I make any more dumb mistakes! Way to introduce myself to the group! LOL
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/17/2008 11:05:00 PM  



  • Auggh! This is fuuny. I have a HORRIBLE memory - but here are a few scattered memories-

    In I think 2nd grade I told everyone my new name was "cupcake" - I remember having this vision of being a 1950's cool poodle skirt wearing chic - and her name would be "Cupcake"!

    Around the 2-3rd grade years I had a boy admirer from my class that would suprise me with charms for this charm bracelet and candies in my desk. I loved that.

    Embarrasing fashion moment- I think in like 4th or 5th grade- I thought it was really cool to wear a sweatshirt inside out- so I did it, and everyone made fun of me. I was so embarrased!

    Talent show nightmare (I think 4th or 5th grade)- Doing our version of a western dance with my 2 best friends with matching cowboy boots, jean skirts & jakets to this really old song by the Blues Brothers- Rawhide! SCARY!!!!
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 1/18/2008 07:31:00 AM  



  • I have an idea!! Let's put Kage and Cheryl in a bull pin and let them go at it. I think those two personalities would "clash" to say the least....Might be entertaining!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/18/2008 04:50:00 PM  



  • Kindergarden, JR asking me to marry him and of course, I said yes.

    1st grade, asking my teacher Mrs. Anderson in front of the whole class if she was pregnant. She was not. YES...it was as awful as you can imagine.

    2nd grade, being in love with Peter Pollack and us sitting next to each other, dumping large amounts of Elmers Glue on our desks and swirling our fingers in it. Young love.

    3rd grade. Getting a D in handwriting and crying about it. Being pulled out 3 days a week to go to the gifted program and HATING it.

    4th grade, NO friends for like 6 months (new hoity toity private school) - awful.

    5th grade - lots of perms, fell in love with Nick Teider and AJ - was the only girl invited to a boys party - I felt cool.

    6th grade - finally came into my own. Best year ever. Fell in love with Mark Corner and Frank Quatrone.
    posted by Blogger Sara at 1/18/2008 08:20:00 PM  



  • OK< I just re-read my comment and it appears that I fell in and out of love an awful lot in elementary school....
    posted by Blogger Sara at 1/18/2008 08:22:00 PM  



  • The tragedies (let's be honest: they stick the hardest and are the funniest to read):

    1st Grade: Huge crush on Bradley Barnett. My best friend got to sit next to him for the WHOLE YEAR. I sat next to Michael--the first boy to show me how to flip his eyelids. Ick.

    4th Grade: Carrie Hoffman telling me on the way home from school: "You know, headbands are really out of style. I guess you just want to be a really out of style girl, huh?"

    5th Grade: Some boy (name escapes me) tormenting my sister and I on our way home from school. He "floored" me. (Def: pulling one's out-of-style sweatpants down so that the rest of the neighborhood can see one's flowered underpants.)

    5th Grade: First boyfriend, Steve Anderson, breaking up with me because I "look like his dog."

    6th Grade: Reading passages of our Human Growth and Development (see: sex ed) book aloud in class. I accidentally said "public hair" instead of "pubic hair."

    7th and 8th Grade: Two years of social drama.

    9th Grade: Ahhh, the happy ending...auditioned for the musical, only freshman to make it (and got a lead role!), and made a ton of upperclass friends. Like Kage, it changed my life.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1/23/2008 07:53:00 PM  



  • roses! Theatre saves the day again!

    anon, seriously I was giving cheryl a hard time b/c I know she can be a bit sensitive and I just had to tease her! I think we would get along, but we probably have a lot of opposite pov's....not sure.

    chloe, I was SO miserable whenever I had to be taken out for the gifted program. I think I was SOCIALLY gifted, not sciencey mathy gifted, I MISSED my friends...............
    posted by Blogger Kage at 1/24/2008 05:12:00 AM  



  • sixth graders making out. wow i wonder what advanced means in this case. hahahahahahaha
    posted by Blogger Unknown at 4/02/2008 01:57:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home