17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Wednesday

With our fearless leader under the weather and her BFF getting ready for an unexpected Western Trek, our posting has been a bit slow, so I decided to just write a little post to get some ideas moving again.

In this rainy month of February, my thoughts are dominated by only a few things.

1. Chloe and Tftcarrie and I walked in the Revlon Run/Walk for women's cancers back in 2003. We raised money and walked with a TON of peops from Times Square to somewhere in Central Park. It was such a great experience to raise the money and involve our children. We dressed them in pink (not the lone boy baby), for breast cancer awareness and we packed them in their strollers and walked for a good cause.

Every year since then I have gotten an invitation to participate again, and every year I feel too overwhelmed to take it on. This year was different though. When I saw it in my inbox, I couldn't help but think of all my friends and family affected by cancer, and in particular, women's cancers, and so I signed up.

As I was sending out emails and putting up blog posts about donating, I thought I would try to formally organize a team to walk and raise money with me, and in just a week I have my mandatory 15 team mates Fired up and Ready to go. I can't stop thinking about spreading the word and raising the money and walking on May 3rd.

2. The Primaries. My state was one of the many that voted in the primaries yesterday. I am completely obsessed about this race. Pukey is at an age where she is quite aware of it too. She is asking questions and asking me to plese pause CNN (we have tivo), so that she doesn't miss anything while she goes to the bathroom. Poopy will be coloring and then look up and see Barack Obama and shout: OBAMA 08!

My husband and the girls woke up at 6:30 yesterday morning and he took them to vote with him. I said: "Are you sure you want to take them?" And he replied: "They are so excited for Obama 08, I have to take them." So he and his Obama girls marched all the way to cast his vote for, as Pukey says it: "Rom-uh-nee".

3. The Funeral. Amidst the excitement and passion I am feeling for the above 2, I am pulled back to the reality of this upcoming weekend. On Saturday we will be celebrating my Grandpa's long life and also my husband's 35th birthday. I am already trying to brace myself for the draining days ahead. I had a difficult January...the blues, the cold weather, the cold in my nose, recovering from Christmas plans and travel, and now after this weekend, I will be in recovery mode once more. I am so looking forward to reuniting with family and so not looking forward to the emotions that will follow. I am not fired up and ready to go for this, but maybe once I am on the plane I will feel differently.

Cheryl, just to be clear, you may or may not comment on any of the above 3! That written with a wink and a smile.



5 Comments:

  • Oh, thanks, kage. I was so worried. :) :)

    Ah, so you and hubby vote differently, eh? How do you keep the peace in the family?

    Good luck with the funeral. I understand what you mean about the chance to see family, but the sad reason for gathering. I hope it's a great experience!
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 2/06/2008 12:33:00 PM  



  • So glad you're doing the run/walk again. All the excitement in Times Square was the best. And the kids were so little!

    I actually dragged my butt out of bed for the first time in a few days to go vote yesterday. CA has a lot of crazy props on the ballot that I just had to vote on too.

    I am sure the funeral will be draining, but it is always nice to be able to celebrate the life of someone who had a long and good one.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 2/06/2008 09:29:00 PM  



  • That is very cute how your DH took your girls to vote with him. Glad they are listening to you and not him ;-) I am voting for the first time (sort-of) next Tuesday....Oregon has mail-ballot elections so I just voted from home before (and got absentee ballots sent when we lived in NY). I am excited to go to an actual polling place!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 2/07/2008 09:39:00 AM  



  • I like having a two-party household. DH and I are able to have many cool conversations about the candidates and I think it helps to keep both of us a little more open-minded. Sure, sometimes it leads to, let's say, a "healthy discussion" or two. I think it'll be good for our kids, too, so that they're always exposed to both sides. But maybe it works because neither of us are super hard-core.

    Thinking about your sweet grandpa and your family.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 2/07/2008 02:42:00 PM  



  • DH and I sometimes vote opposite sides- and a few years ago, we decided we wouldn't tell each other our voting, and see what happened.

    WHen we came out of the polling place, we had BOTH voted for Ralph Nader!

    This was our first year in a presidential state with a caucus election, and we were a part of that. It was fascinating, and I now find myself, much to my own surprise, a delegate to Washington state for Obama. Go figure!
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 2/12/2008 12:25:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home