17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Inspiration

I moved 2 days ago.
You know how that is.
Today I tried to organize my office space a bit. I put up some of my favorite inspirations on my new bulletin board. I decided that sharing my inspirations would be a good post. And then I was robbed.

Yes, stupid me. I left my purse in the passenger seat of my car, in plain view, while I went to pick up my daughter. I was gone about 20 minutes, and when I got back, the window was shattered and my purse was gone.

So then I went back and forth....do I post about how violated I feel and how mad I am and how I am really upset that my $50 gift certificate to MAC was in there.....or do I keep focused on what inspires me and move ahead.

Here is what won:

Accept what people offer. Drink their milkshakes. Take their love. ~ Wally Lamb

Do you have enough risks in your life to stay alive?
(Read it in a book somewhere...)

Life beats you down and crushes the soul and ART reminds you that you have one. ~Stella Adler

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...You must do the thing you think you cannot do. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt.

gift from the gods (accompanied by a scoop of chocolate Haagen Dazs ice cream)

I love raising my kids in the city because... (followed by the reasons) ~ Katie Couric

There are no long lines or tickets required to see the art in the everyday.
~Banana Republic Ad

Give me a young woman who loves home and family, who reads and ponders the scriptures daily, who has a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon. Give me a young woman who faithfully attends her church meetings, who is a seminary graduate, who has earned her Young Womanhood Recognition Award and wears it with pride! Give me a young woman who is virtuous and who has maintained her personal purity, who will not settle for less than a temple marriage, and I will give you a young woman who will perform miracles for the Lord now and throughout eternity. ~ President Ezra Taft Benson




8 Comments:

  • I am so sorry this terrible thing happened to you. I am glad you are trying to focus on inspirational things even though I can only imagine how violated and angry you must be feeling.

    I think it's great to have visual reminders of what inspires you. My father-in-law always jots down quotes on post-it notes and sticks them all over his desk. I love visiting his office to read what is meaningful to him.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 3/22/2007 08:41:00 PM  



  • I'm so sorry about the gift card (and everything else in the purse) that just stinks... but thanks for the inspiration! I love seeing what quotes mean something to different people.
    posted by Blogger Lucy at 3/23/2007 05:42:00 AM  



  • I'm glad you are trying to look on the bright sides. I know it can be very hard to do, especially when everyone else's life seems to be going good. Another plus side of it, at least you weren't on your way out and had to see it happen or someone try to steal your purse while you were carrying it or while you and your kids were in the car, I think that would affect me a lot more. Thanks for making us all think about being more positive in our lives.
    posted by Blogger Erin at 3/23/2007 07:55:00 AM  



  • Kage - I'm so so so sorry this happened to you. Any news on the purse? You're in my thoughts right now.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 3/23/2007 06:50:00 PM  



  • Strange, the only time I've been robbed was also two days after I moved (to Bosnia--I was pickpocketed by "the best" gypsy in town--she was so good at what she did the police couldn't get her off the street because she had the best paid lawyer in the city!), and also two days before I moved (this time from Bosnia--my cell phone was taken from my purse in the market). Just thought I'd share.

    I always find that after I put up inspirational quotes, I stop looking at them and they lose meaning quickly. So I don't do it. Do you rotate yours? Add to them?
    posted by Blogger sunny at 3/24/2007 12:28:00 AM  



  • Kage--aak! I'm so sorry about the wallet! That is frustrating in so many ways. I hope you get all the problems solved that accompany a stolen wallet. ARg.

    Once I thought my diaper bag was stolen. I was more upset about the kids cool museum animal toys going missing than I was about my money. I loved those animals! Luckily I found the bag--just moved by an innocent bystander--took days to recover though.
    posted by Blogger Katie at 3/24/2007 08:48:00 PM  



  • Yeah, I've had my purse stolen from my car too, (in my case, from my own driveway), but they didn't even have to break the window because I left it unlocked all night. They even took the pennies in the ashtray. By the time I figured out I had really been robbed, and not just left my purse somehwere (about 5 hours), they had already charged over $1500 worth of stuff on my credit card. I did call the police, only because the credit card people needed a report number, but obviously nobody investigated, because, as you said on your other blog, it was my own dumb fault.

    Thanks for posting things to make us forget about the stupid things we do.
    posted by Blogger Heather O. at 3/25/2007 03:31:00 PM  



  • I don't know if it would help at all, but this lady's post about having her home broken into has a great sense of perspective:
    http://blairpeter.typepad.com/weblog/2007/03/no_kids_encyclo.html
    posted by Blogger Em at 3/25/2007 09:18:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home