17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Family Prayer

Today my little family gathered together on our bench in the "hallway" of our 700 square foot apt. DH and I were sitting, Poopy on his lap. Pukey was standing. We folded our arms and bowed our heads and said a quick prayer like we do every morning, and most every night. But this morning was different.

13-month-old Poopy took the palms of her hands and placed them on her chest in a very deliberate way. She bowed her head and scrunched her eyes and held this position as long as she could. When the prayer was over and DH said AMEN, she said: "Yeah!" I was so humbled by her. This little baby was practicing prayer, already.

We didn't even start family prayer with our first until she was probably at least 2, thinking that she wouldn't really catch on and it wouldn't really matter. And today I know that it does matter, and they do catch on. And I am so glad that we take just a wee second every day to gather as a family and Thank God for each other and for this life. Yeah!

6 Comments:

  • It is so touching. I remember that same realization with my third. Around 18 months she started folding her arms and bowing her head and mumbling something to herself finishing off with a forceful Amen, just randomly through out the day. I began guiding her through a short prayer everytime she did this, sometimes many times in a row, and she picked up the words to use too.

    I'm grateful for the very profound teaching moments that come with parenting. I think that situation was meant more for my learning than dd's.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 7/02/2006 09:18:00 AM  



  • Kage,
    You may have inspired me to start doing "official" family prayer too! We have one with our 4 yr old by her bed every night but our 21 month old we really haven't yet.. Very sweet!
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 7/02/2006 08:03:00 PM  



  • rh-don't get me wrong, we are not too official, but it is a 20-second habit that has had it's effect.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 7/02/2006 08:26:00 PM  



  • My favorite part is the "Yeah!" instead of the amen. So cute.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 7/03/2006 07:23:00 AM  



  • We've tried to include our kids in family prayer even when they are infants...of course, it does take time for them to understand, but you never know when it will be! How fun for you to discover it so early in such an adorable way...
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 7/03/2006 08:47:00 PM  



  • I have wondered when the appropriate time to start those sorts of things were (family prayer, fhe, etc). I guess its never too early. Love the story.
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 7/05/2006 09:00:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home