17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, October 19, 2007

How Much is that Puppy in the Window?

No, we couldn't just stop at a new house, a new city, a new job, and a new baby. Last weekend we decided to add a new puppy into the mix. Rosie (named by my daughter and okay'd by me because I bought her at the Rose Bowl Flea Market) is the first puppy I have ever owned.

Don't get me wrong, I have owned and loved dogs my entire life. But none of them ever came to me as puppies. I've always been more of a "save a dog from the pound" sort of girl. So this whole puppy thing is completely new and I admit I was a little scared at first. But I went for it fully knowing I would bear most of the responsibility. And I have to say, having her around has been so amazing. She is the sweetest little thing ever. I honestly can't believe I waited until now to experience the joy of having a puppy.

The kids love her (of course) and Princess has taken over the jobs of taking her out, cleaning up after her and generally watch over her so in return Rosie can be known as "her dog". I was skeptical at first, but it looks like Princess is to the age where she really understands what it means to be responsible for an animal. Our first dog, Sugar, loves her too and can't wait until she is big enough to be an equal playmate.

Even though this past week has been pure puppy bliss around this house, I know it will soon change. She's going to grow up and her cute puppy nibbles will turn into frustrating doggy chews on my new shoes or Princesses' favorite doll. And Rosie's easy-to-clean tiny puppy piddles will turn into annoying large pee puddles. I know the puppy training needs to start now. But where exactly do I start? We're really good at praising her for going potty outside, but beyond that, we really have nothing.

Anyone have any good puppy advice? Book recommendations? Websites? Anything? I need to get armed before the overwhelming and blinding cuteness starts wearing off.

11 Comments:

  • I know it sounds awful but we would make them smell where they had just had their accident and say no in a harsh tone then we'd clean it up real quick and spray ammonia on the spot-i guess they don't like the smell and wont go back to the same spot.
    posted by Blogger 5dollarFanatic at 10/19/2007 10:46:00 AM  



  • I have absolutely no advice - I'm still in la-la land over little Rosie. She is the first and only dog I have ever held (those who know me well know I don't like dogs) - I fell in love instantly.

    Good luck with the training - you'll do brilliantly. Can't wait to see that sweet puppy again soon...
    posted by Blogger Sara at 10/19/2007 01:08:00 PM  



  • Did you give her a bath yet?
    posted by Blogger Kage at 10/19/2007 04:07:00 PM  



  • Cesar Millan, Cesar Millan, Cesar, Cesar......

    His book is called Cesar's Way, and it's awwweeesommme. You can also get DVD's of his show at the library.

    OK, also, take her to a "puppy kindergarten." (Any obedience school with have one, check the phone book, or even PetSmart). They will give her (and you) basic training techniques, as well as get her socialized with other dogs.

    I also recommend crate training. Helps tons with the potty thing.

    You must walk her, most importantly, and don't let her get away with "small dog syndrome." Imagine if what she was doing was being done a huge German Shepherd, and treat her accordingly.

    She is just darling, and I'm glad you are loving her, that is brave to potty train a puppy while pregnant!
    posted by Blogger The Wiz at 10/19/2007 06:08:00 PM  



  • I wouldn't rub her nose in the spots she had accidents. If you catch her in the moment you can scold her a little. If you don't catch her in the act it is like spanking your 1 year old for something she did yesterday. They are not able to connect the punishment with the crime if the crime has been comitted in secret.

    I second the Wiz on crate training and puppy class. Start now. The more consistent you are the better dog she will be.
    Just like with kids positive strokes go much further than a spanking.

    I am so jealous. Give her a little squeeze from a dogless dog person.
    posted by Blogger leakysieve at 10/19/2007 10:10:00 PM  



  • That's one cute puppy. No advice- but you're weakening my resolve; my kids are begging for a puppy.
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 10/19/2007 10:15:00 PM  



  • Let me reiterate Wiz's comment: Cesar Milan, Cesar Milan, Cesar Milan. GET HIS BOOK. He even has a chapter about how to bring home a new baby, walks you through everything step by step. I am convinced that our dog is safe around the baby because of what we did.

    I also second crate training, especially since Little Rosie is going to stay pretty small, so her crate won't take up much room. There are some basic tips in "Dogs for Dummies". Yes, we own that book.

    Good luck. And what a little cutie pie! My friend has a miniature schnauzer--seriously one of the best dogs ever.
    posted by Blogger Heather O. at 10/20/2007 04:20:00 PM  



  • Definitely crate training. Start now, but don't expect them to have very good control over it till they are about 4 months old. You have to watch her like a hawk. But crate training is without a doubt the way to go.
    posted by Blogger TheOneTrueSue at 10/21/2007 12:13:00 AM  



  • I have no good advice as I have never owned a puppy, (though my resolve is also weakening since my toddler LOVES them). I do like listening to 'Calling All Pets' on NPR. Before I had a child I thought the show was boring and pointless. I still don't have a puppy, but I swear everything they say is applicable to children.

    Good luck!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10/21/2007 07:17:00 AM  



  • Please do NOT rub their nose in their messes it has been proven to not work and it is pretty mean. I have never believed in crate training so don't ask me on that subject. You got her so young she will be potty trained within a month. She is a smart dog (not a bulldog) she will get it when you praise her for going outside and when you scold her if you catch her going inside. I promise. I do like Cesar Millan alot. I bet his book will be a good place to start. You will do great with Rosie. She is so lucky to have you for a mom and her new family.
    posted by Blogger Kelly at 10/21/2007 09:50:00 AM  



  • Carrie,

    Kennel training is the way that worked for us. We kept Peanut in the kennel all of the time unless we were playing with him or taking him out to pee. Apparently dogs won't pee in their sleeping place unless it is a very last resort. So we would always take him outside before playing with him and then take him outside just before putting him back in the kennel. It didn't take long till he got the idea, when he came out he really had to go and so he did outside and got lots of love. Then as long as we didn't play too long, and got him back in the kennel then the next time we got him out he would do his thing outside. I'm sure we used the Dachshunds for dummies book for tips on how to do this. It worked out pretty well and now its a rare occasion when we find a little present somewhere around the house.
    posted by Blogger Joshua at 10/22/2007 11:01:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home