17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Halloween Party Playlist

My sister recently posted about a need for Halloween Music. It was a few days ago, but all of a sudden, on the subway today, with my children in tow, I had a total brainstorm about a good ipod playlist of Halloween Tunes.

Some of these songs I already have, but now I am trying find some dollars and cents in my budget to fill out the rest of the list. Much like my post on
Christmas Songs, here comes the Halloween Version:

The suggestions on my sister's post:
Monster Mash
Ghostbusters
Thriller
Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics)
Grim Grinning Ghosts (Bare naked ladies version)
Purple People Eater
Witch Doctor
Spooky
Addams Family
Here Comes the Bride

To see a few more details of this list, click here.

Here is what I came up with:

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead (I love the Barbra Streisand Version)
Selections from:
Wizard of Oz
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Connick Jr. has redone a few songs from both of these movies that are really fun. (Jitterbug, Oompa Loompa, Ding Dong, Candy Man, Merry Old Land of Oz, etc.)

Movie Soundtracks:
It would be fun to pull from some of our favorite movies that have darker themes or Halloweeny themes. A few I thought of:
Harry Potter
Pirates of Carribbean
Nightmare Before Christmas: This is Halloween
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Psycho (or any suspense film with suspenseful music)
Young Frankenstein (not sure if the film has music)
Dracula (see above)
Heffalump Song from Pooh's Adventures
Music from the Halloween Heffalump Movie
Any EVIL song/scene from any Disney/other movie.
A few off the top of my head:
Cruella Deville (looks like there is a funny one by The Replacements)
The Urusala song from Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast (Be our Guest, Kill the Beast)

This is a list from an album on Itunes called KIDS HALLOWEEN MOVIE THEMES(a few I didn't think of):
Jaws Theme
Power Puff Girls End Title
ET Theme
Buffy, The Vampire Slayer
Theme from Planet of the Apes
X Men Theme
Spiderman Theme
Pokeman Theme
Star Wars

And another album available on itunes, HALLOWEEN FUN, THEMES & HITS:
The Munsters
Theme from Bewitched
Casper the Friendly Ghost
Jeepers Creepers


TV Themes:
Scooby Doo
Pink Panther
Murder, She Wrote
Great Pumpkin Waltz, Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin TV Special
Twilight Zone

Musicals:
I know Carrie thinks I am silly for the amount of musicals that I listen to and and use to set my home vidoes too, but this is a GREAT resource for fun, Halloweeny songs:

Into the Woods:
Well, this just has a lot of costumes that show up on Halloween, and includes a Witch. I just added THE LAST MIDNIGHT and HELLO, LITTLE GIRL to my Halloween playlist.


WICKED:
March of the Witch Hunters
No one Mourns the Wicked

Dance of the Vampires:
I am not familiar with this musical, but the title is intriguing, as are the titles on itunes....I am intrigued by GARLIC

Sweeney Todd:
The ballad of Sweeney Todd
Worst Pies in London

Mary Poppins:
Temper, Temper (all the toys in the nursery come to life and scold the children)
Brimstone and Treacle (the mean nanny sings this in Act 2)
Spoonful of Sugar

Mystery of Edwin Drood:
A Man Could Go Quite Mad
Moonfall
Garden Path to Hell
No Good Can Come From Bad

Marie Christine: (anyone a fan of the new show, Private Practice? The girl who plays Naomi, Audra MacDonald, sings this soundtrack. AMAZING!)
Prison in a Prison
Bird Inside the House
Before the Morning

The Secret Garden:
I Heard Someone Crying
House Upon the Hill
Storm Scenes

Phantom:
Masquerade

Peter Pan:
Captain Hook's Waltz
Hook's Tango
Ugg a Wugg
Indians
Oh My Mysterious Lady
Tarantella
Pirate Song

Rocky Horror/Young Frankenstein/LeStat/Jekyll & Hyde probably all have some potential songs in there.

Pippen:
Magic To do

Rent:
Halloween (I don't know if this is clean or not)

Classical:
There is always good murder and stuff in operas....Elektra has a short little scene called Helft! Morder!. Pretty much if it has exclamation points, it might be good for your Halloween Mix. I am thinking there is probably something good in Romeo and Juliet, and I seem to remember studying a symphony that had a lot of witch themes...but my B.M. was earned many years ago now...sigh.

Pirates of Penzance: Pour, O Pour the Pirate Sherry, Rollicking Band of Pirates We, With Cat Like Tread

Oldies:
Witchcraft
Bewitched
Black Magic
Do you believe in Magic?
Devil with the Blue Dress on

Other:
The Devil went down to georgia.
Evanescence: Haunted, My Immortal
Michael Jackson: Scream
Abba: Super Trouper
Johnny Cash: Wanted Man
Justin Roberts: Maybe the Monster, Thought it was a Monster
YMCA
Smashing Pumpkins
Barbra Steisand: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?



12 Comments:

  • Wow! This is perhaps the most comprehensive list of Halloween music the world has ever seen!

    I would have to add "Somebody's Watching Me" - creepy.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 10/23/2007 09:44:00 AM  



  • You're right about Rocky Horror ... "The Time Warp" is practically a Halloween classic at this point. ^_^

    And, if you don't care how bad they sound (but I have a special place for them in my heart), The Shaggs have a Halloween song ("It's Halloween"). the lyrics are fine. They just play and sing in a rather ... discordant fashion.:P
    posted by Blogger Allanna at 10/23/2007 10:54:00 AM  



  • All you need for Halloween is any Oingo Boingo album and you are set.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10/23/2007 12:15:00 PM  



  • Ooh, this is so handy!

    I'm letting all my piano students play Halloween music this year, and it's been a stretch for me to find enough stuff (because you don't realize just how much talking there is in "Monster Mash" until you try to play it on the piano).

    Here's a couple I've liked (that may be on your list and I just missed them)...
    Corpse Bride has some nice scary music.

    For classical stuff, there's:
    Funeral March (Piano Sonata in B flat) by Chopin
    Funeral March of a Marionette (Alfred Hitchock theme song)

    Thanks, Kage! Can't wait for next year...
    posted by Blogger EmilyCC at 10/23/2007 02:12:00 PM  



  • The Eagles, Hotel California or Witchy Woman...?
    Out of curiousity, when where and how in Queens did you bloggers all meet? Is this in an earlier post I can find? I ask because I grew up in ye olde Queens Ward
    posted by Blogger mrs. everything at 10/23/2007 05:56:00 PM  



  • wow so fun
    thanks for the list
    posted by Blogger pepper at 10/23/2007 10:28:00 PM  



  • mrs. everything. I think if you read the FIRST post...you will get your answers.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 10/24/2007 04:37:00 AM  



  • jason, yes, sorry honey, I meant to add oingo boingo, but I forgot...glad you are on top of things!
    posted by Blogger Kage at 10/24/2007 04:37:00 AM  



  • I just purchased the Halloween Scream Themes album from itunes, it has all the scary movie themes!
    posted by Blogger Jessie Jo at 10/24/2007 10:12:00 AM  



  • I just thought of something else, the LOST soundtrack, if it's available.....
    posted by Blogger Kage at 10/27/2007 05:01:00 AM  



  • Great suggestions!
    Don't forget the opening theme to Phantom,and the soundtrack to Corpse Bride is pretty good, too. Good idea with Wizard of Oz. Another good classical piece is the song played for the end credits of "Series of Unfortunate Events," however, I can't seem to find out what that song is. :(
    posted by Blogger bainesbunch at 10/05/2008 06:43:00 AM  



  • Tom Petty "Zombie Zoo"
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10/16/2008 10:02:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home