17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Make Stuff: Fabric Scrap Paper Doll

I came across this idea way back when on Kiddley. It was a guest post from the talented Sarah of Small Object (you have to check out her official mail stamps her stamp necklaces and unique family tree). Anyway I bookmarked her post, started a fabric and trim scrap collection box and made a vow to come back to the idea when I needed a birthday present for one of Princesses' turning-5-friends.

This summer I finally had the chance to explore and expand upon the idea of making a fabric scrap paper doll. Here's how you do it:

-Download Sarah's doll template from Kiddley or draw your own doll shape. I decided to draw my own so I could make her look like the birthday girl.

-Copy the picture 50 times on white cardstock.

-Grab a handful of random fabric scraps from my overflowing scrap box and a handful of trim scraps and placed them in ziploc bags. Start saving scraps ahead of time!

-Add a couple gluesticks and a couple pairs of good kid scissors (it's fun to create with a friend!)

-Make a "sample" to show what the kit is all about. I had Princess do this step for me and by the end, she was begging for her own kit. Oh, my little budding fashion designer.

-Place it all in a fun box. I was lucky enough to find a cute patterned suitcase at HomeGoods for $6 and tied a bow around the handle (no need to wrap!).

This is a great way for sewers/crafter to use up all those scraps of fabric and trim - no matter how small or strange shaped! If you are an avid scrapbooker, you could do the same thing and save your patterned paper scraps to use instead of fabric. If you are neither a sewer, crafter or scrapbooker, ask a friend, mother, aunt or grandma who is to start saving their scraps for you so you can make this fun, cheap and semi-"green" project.

5 Comments:

  • Oh I LOVE this. And I have a feeling I'm going to love a lot more stuff on those sites you linked to. It's amazing how much time I can waste online reading about really great ideas that I never follow through on because I'm too busy wasting time online... :-)
    posted by Blogger marian at 9/26/2007 10:22:00 AM  



  • I love this idea - and I am so not a crafty person. But this seems like something I could/would actually do for my dd, or on of her friends birthdays. thanks for the idea sharing!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 9/26/2007 12:40:00 PM  



  • I LOVE this idea so so much - loved it when you first told me about it. And you know I have scraps to spare :)

    I'm totally doing this for little girl for Christmas...

    Thank you for posting!
    posted by Blogger Sara at 9/26/2007 11:00:00 PM  



  • LOVE IT....GOING TO MAKE...SOMEDAY
    posted by Blogger Kage at 9/27/2007 05:35:00 AM  



  • That is so adorable! Oh, I have a kid party Saturday...I wonder if I could get one together in time. Thanks for the idea!
    posted by Blogger Katie at 9/27/2007 07:42:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home