17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Friday, February 09, 2007

I Had a Dance in Draper

My birthday this year came as it does every year, on the day after Christmas. Such an unfortunate birth-date in many respects. There is a natural let down after Christmas and people want to hibernate for a day or two. Sometimes the materialism of the season has beaten people down and the thought of giving another gift is just too much. I never expect much on my birthday because people just seem a bit out of sorts. It's a low energy day (unless you are inspired to shop).

But this year was different. I wanted to have a dance and voiced this desire and things came together. We got a room at a dance studio with speakers and mirrors and a wood floor. I invited everyone...friends and family, children and adults. We danced for the pure joy of dancing. Children laid down on the floor from exhaustion. Adults moved in ways that made them sore the next day. It was sublime. We passed the point where the dancers were feeling self-conscious and new moves were created.

As we left the studio, the snowballs began to fly. Everyone felt so hot that it was a relief to have some snow on our faces. We all got in our mini-vans (30 children, 12 adults) and went home to an exhausted sleep. Now I know what to do for my birthday every year...It will be a tradition. If you find yourself doing nothing of any lasting value on the day after Christmas, then your invited too...next year, to my dance in Draper.

8 Comments:

  • Oh I love this Shaleen. What a wonderful birthday!
    posted by Blogger marian at 2/09/2007 10:24:00 AM  



  • Hey Shaleen...it's been a while. I read this post a while back in the drafts...I loved it then and I love it now. WHHHEEEEEEEEEE! Dancing.

    Just watched one leg of the American Ballroom Championships on PBS and it made me wish I was a dancer like that, but I am afraid there is no hope for me....but there's always Draper.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 2/09/2007 10:30:00 AM  



  • SOO sweet! I think this idea is brilliant! Can I copy? Was Lori H there? She's my Sis in law!! And those dance Championships- The Ohio Star Ball ones on PBS- dude- I WAS THERE! They are amazing every year!!
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 2/09/2007 10:02:00 PM  



  • I love this post - what a fun, lighthearted way to spend your birthday. This made me smile the whole time I was reading it.
    posted by Blogger Sara at 2/09/2007 10:07:00 PM  



  • Way to take charge, Shaleen, and find a great way to celebrate your birthday!
    posted by Blogger sunny at 2/11/2007 01:44:00 AM  



  • Hooray for dancing! Sounds like a blast and I too was smiling throughout this entire post - now I am going to go plug my ipod into it's speakers and have a little family dance. Thanks for inspiring us to get our groove on!
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 2/11/2007 03:01:00 PM  



  • What an awesome birthday!! If we are in UT next Christmas I will totally be there!
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 2/11/2007 03:08:00 PM  



  • What a fun, original idea for an after-Christmas birthday!
    posted by Blogger Jen at 2/12/2007 05:58:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home