17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Monday, October 23, 2006

Only in L.A. - A "Zen" playground...

I recently went to So. Cal to visit Carrie. We decided to spend the day in the Hollywood area and took in the walk of fame stars, Chinese Theater and Kodak Theater. It was at the Kodak Theater mall that we happened upon Cosmikids. From the outside it looked like the perfect place to take our kids to play for an hour or two - lots of excited adults supervising, cool educational toys to play with, colorful crafts to make - perfect. So we paid our money and in we went with our collective four children.





OH MY.

So THIS is what they talk about L.A. being like.

We were greeted at the entrance by a large bin filled with small water bottles. There were blank lables on the bottles that the kids were supposed to write a word on. And I quote from one of the people working there: "Okay...now, take a pen and write a word. And you can write any word you want. Like 'LOVE'! You write, like, 'LOVE' on the bottle and then you drink the water and it's like you're drinking love, okay? Okay!"

Oh my, I was officially in the L.A. haze. I thought this stuff was all fake, but no, these CosmiKids people took their zen and love and peace and bright chakra colors VERY seriously. There was some eastern monk chanting music followed by strong African drumbeats over the loudspeakers, pools of colored lights spotlighting activity areas - chakra lights, mind you. An ACTUAL chakra tent where Carrie and Princess had their chakra's analyzed. I climbed in there too and tried to get DD to come in but instead she cried and moaned "No, mommy. OUT!" That's my girl.

At the Emotions station there is a sign that reads: "Welcome to a judgement-free, intuitive environment where you can examine your negative and positive emotions and learn what to do with them. We all have emotions. It's not that we have them; it's what we choose to do with them". OK...Wow, this is very different from my house where we try to squash personalities and beat children who are crying (I'm exaggerating but you get my drift - my house could stand to be a little more "judgement free"). Anyhoo, the lady looked deeply into my sons eyes, blew up a balloon and said, "I just blew some emotions into this balloon. Maybe I blew frustration, but now it's in the balloon and I'm going to RELEASE it (cut to letting the balloon go and it swizzles in the air and plops on the floor) - now my frustration is all gone! Isn't that just wonderful? Simon, what's in your balloon?" And this is the moment that I fell in love with my son even more. He replied evenly: "Germs". Thata boy.

There were wishing well walks, friendship stones, treasure maps all pointing back to your soul and the zen of it all. Lots of bright colors, lots of SUPER positive interaction and teaching from the workers. I think they liked our kids better than we did...seriously. But maybe that's because they just had 1 1/2 hours with them instead of ALL day every day.

The kids had fun because that's all they were supposed to do. Just have fun. But Carrie and I felt like we were on candid camera or something - this couldn't be real? Did these people really believe in all of this mumbo jumbo? I sure didn't...And yet...

Maybe there is something to be said for just getting back to the basics, the soul, light, music, appreciation for natural surroundings, blowing your frustration and anger into a balloon and letting it go...

NAH.

I'll just stick with Elmo and time-outs and flashcards and see where that gets me.

16 Comments:

  • snerf... he...hehehe. Ha! Hehehaa! HAHAHa! BWa-HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

    I so don't miss L.A. ! Thanks for the reminder!
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10/23/2006 11:57:00 PM  



  • That's one of the funniest things EVER. I promise the whole town is not like that!! Man, if I was there I'd be torn to just take off, or nose around and see what other unbelieveable thing they had waiting.
    posted by Blogger Julie at 10/24/2006 06:18:00 AM  



  • Shut....Up.... I'm still having a hard time believing this place exists!
    I swear, my kids would have been kicked out of a place like that, probably just because they didn't know what the word "emotion" meant...TOO FUNNY!!
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 10/24/2006 10:15:00 AM  



  • Nope, totally real. If Carrie's computer was working today she'd be on here backing me up.

    Absolutely unreal. But hey, it makes a good story!
    posted by Blogger chloe at 10/24/2006 10:37:00 AM  



  • Wiz, you make this game TOO fun... I would've written "A lifetime of regrets and bitter disappointment". Drink it up baby, drink it up!! LOL
    posted by Blogger Mo at 10/24/2006 10:04:00 PM  



  • Maybe I would write "THIN" on my bottle? And if I did that, could I have a gallon size water????
    posted by Blogger chloe at 10/25/2006 09:10:00 AM  



  • I DID JUST PEE!
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 10/25/2006 12:29:00 PM  



  • yay, my computer is working again! I can say that everything Chloe has presented here is the complete truth. The signs were the greatest. We had to take pictures because we knew no one would believe us.

    As crazy as it was I really did enjoy the energy of the space and of all the workers. They were so passionate about the purpose of the play space and what they had to share with the children. I had to respect that even though the kids (at ages 1, 2, 3, and 4) totally didn't get it.

    I can't remember how the lady explained chakras, but I do remember we thought the pretty lights changing colors was cool.

    I also enjoyed watching the employees interact with the children when the children started doing things they shouldn't be doing (like throwing friendship stones at each other) Apparently in "intuitive judgement free zones" an adult does not use the word no. Hearing them struggle to talk through the issue without using the word no or don't was hilarious.

    When Simon slyly snuck the craft scissors into his envelope at the "treasure map" table I was so hoping the worker would notice so I could watch them discuss through that one in a "judgement free" way.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 10/25/2006 01:20:00 PM  



  • That's right, my kids STOLE scissors from the zen playground. The best part is that I LET him...well, Carrie did too :)
    posted by Blogger chloe at 10/25/2006 03:18:00 PM  



  • Not even sure how to respond. Viva Los Angeles!
    My water would say "taller" bottoms up!
    posted by Blogger Melissa at 10/25/2006 04:35:00 PM  



  • Instead of the water, I wish they would have had a purging station....you drink the water and then spit it out.....cynicism, sarcasm, bad attitude, the list goes on.

    What's chakras?

    As for the balloon....I would have said: my balloon contains latex, which is a highly toxic allergen for me, thus that balloon represents my life, or my death...depending on how you look at it.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 10/26/2006 05:34:00 AM  



  • My daughter was freaked out by the lights in the chakra tent. She could probably use a little charka alignment. I only crawled in there because there were pillows and I thought maybe I could take a nap...:)
    posted by Blogger chloe at 10/26/2006 11:46:00 AM  



  • Wow...That sounds like a really cool placel. But I suppose if you don't understand it then it is "weird" As for the water try watching "What the bleep to we know" & "What the bleep down the rabbit hole" it goes in a little detail about changing the water molecules. You should look up the work of Dr. Masaru Emoto from Japan.
    Your post actually makes me excited to go check this place out! It sounds great!
    Now granted, many of these people take what they preach a little too far or too seriously, BUT it is all far more sophisticated to dismiss so outrightly! Much of what you saw has science to back it up. It is ok to be so quick to judge. We should always be judging and critiquing.
    BUT DON'T BE SO QUICK TO CONDEMN.

    Don't be so glib.
    posted by Blogger Lorell at 10/27/2006 10:10:00 AM  



  • But if chloe (and the other commentors) weren't glib, it wouldn't be as funny! :)
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 10/27/2006 01:25:00 PM  



  • I guess I'm glib now. I can work with that...Maybe I'll be glib for Halloween?!
    posted by Blogger chloe at 10/28/2006 12:18:00 AM  



  • Been there, done that, lived in California for most of my life, blah blah blah...

    But glibness is SO much funnier than new-age spirals in the eyes! I'm familair with Masaru Emoto...

    ...And I still want Mo Mommy to label my water!
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 10/28/2006 02:18:00 AM  



Post a Comment

<< Home