17 different women, 36 crazy children, 0 babies in utero
Adventures, Advice and Questions from a group of Mormon women who met in Queens, NY and have now scattered all over the place.
 

Sunday, August 12, 2007

On being Mormony

For the first time I did a job called Showroom Modeling. In NYC all of the labels have rooms with racks of their clothes, and buyers come in and put in their orders for whatever store they represent. Part of the selling from brand to vendor involves seeing, touching, proven percentage increase in sales, and having the product modeled live.

Being a model for this type of work has a lot of down time, and can sometimes be tedious, because of putting clothes on and taking them off, over and over and over again. Right about now Carrie is thinking about emailing me and telling me to go write on my own blog already...but if she keeps reading she will know why I am posting here.

This ONE particular day I was in a meeting where this brand (who will remain nameless) was meeting with a division for a department store in the Northwest. I think they were in Seattle, but also had doors in Utah. From what I could figure out in the minimal time I was in the room, Door is a term used in the industry to represent a store unit or something...

Let me back up for a second. Of ALL the gajillion outfits that I modeled, there was only one that I was slightly interested in, or could see myself in. It was a navy blue cargo dress with 3/4 length sleeves, and a tie bow sash. It seemed to be landing just slightly above the knee. It was really cute...a nice transition piece for Spring and Fall months. I could picture it with thick tights and boots or a cute platform sandal.

Anyway, for this meeting, and this particular model coupling, I was wearing some shorts and a white blouse, and the model with me was wearing the cargo dress. The vendor said to the buyer, something like: "Isn't this a marvelous cargo dress?" And the buyer immediately dismissed it and said: "Not Mormony enough." I, of course was not expecting that Mormony was going to be any vendor's criteria for whether or not to purchase, but apparently it is, which is nice to know right? Someone out there in the fashion merchandising world has got our backs? Or at least all of ya'll in Utah...

I also, would never have ruled that particular dress out, being a mormon myself and all. Of course my impulse was to say, "Hmmmm, mmmm...as the only mormon in the room, this dress is the only thing on your entire floor that I have ACTUALLY considered buying for the past 4 days working here....", but models are meant to be seen and not heard.

13 Comments:

  • My only thought on this would be that you should have mentioned to that particular buyer that you were a Mormon. Perhaps they would have been interested in your opinion --I know I would have been!
    posted by Blogger Cheryl at 8/12/2007 08:24:00 AM  



  • Interesting...I just bought the same style at the Macy's sale. It was in black and so cute on. Sleeves could roll up and button or just hang at the elbow with a cuff. I guess I'm "Mormony!" Could go to church, temple or school. Perfect. Thanks for your opinion, Kage.
    posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 8/12/2007 08:36:00 AM  



  • I wonder why it wasn't "Mormony" enough????? Were you in the room long enough to know what they were going for?

    I totally wish you would've said something (even though I know you couldn't have). That is an interesting story. Thanks for sharing.
    posted by Blogger Beth at 8/12/2007 10:13:00 AM  



  • I work for an modeling agency that represents both fit and showroom models in Los Angeles and New York. Showroom models are meant to be heard! You are there to help the label sell the cloths not just look great in them. The buyers would have loved your comments on the dress as you are their target market. You could have up sold that buyer and made that showroom very happy. Next time speak up your positive comments are very valuable, and you have a lot of great insight to offer.hawaii50
    posted by Blogger Bailey at 8/12/2007 12:44:00 PM  



  • Ummm... hawaii50 was meant for a different page I was working on. I don't know how it ended up at the end there! Sorry!!! Silly me!
    posted by Blogger Bailey at 8/12/2007 12:54:00 PM  



  • beth, I think maybe it was just a little too short in that buyer's opinion? And when buttons don't go all the way to the hem, it creates a sort of slit. And like I said in the post, I often where shorter dresses with thick tights, so that I am not exposing myself when I sit down.

    bailey, I was given the impression to speak when spoken too. It being my first time, I even asked about whether or not I could speak. If it had been fit, I would have felt more free, but in front of clients...wasn't feeling it.

    PLUS, I was wearing shorts that were not mormony...I think the inseam was about 6 inches, so I thought she might think I was a jackmormon or something...assuming I was obviously clueless about what a mormon will and will not wear, when I was wearing a will not in that particular situation. That was my first thought at least...plus, even though I am totally open to talking about my religion, in a professional, on-the-spot situation like that, I try not to bring it up.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 8/12/2007 04:38:00 PM  



  • Kage- just curious- what do you do about g's in a mass-modelling-changing situation like that?
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 8/12/2007 09:28:00 PM  



  • Kage-
    I am glad to hear that because when I was out in Utah my SIL was saying she wished stores would do more buying for Mormons- because she had the MOST dificult time finding any selection of 1 piece swimming suits for her 6yr. old daughter.
    Tracy M (not to answer for Kage) this is what I used to do- I modeled for many years- most of which were before I wore G's but afterward- I simply did not wear them to a job at all. I'd either just wear a nude thong which is usually what I' be needing for the work, or I'd wear G's in and change in a bathroom before I "really" started changing. I always treat my G's as something that are sacred, I was not ever wanting to having them "out for open discussion". Not professional and I personally was not interested in making it a public affair.
    posted by Blogger Rachel H at 8/13/2007 06:20:00 AM  



  • rachel h/tracy m. That is exactly what I do. I wear them to the job, and then when I am called upon to start hair/makeup or start trying things on (sometimes you wait for several hours), THEN I tell them I just need to use the restroom really quick, I exchange for my nudge thong (usually requested is a nude thong and bra to avoid any LINES showing through the clothes), and then I can just change in front of whoever, and I am ready to go.

    In this particular case HOWEVER, I packed them in my purse and arrived without them on because part of the job was lifting up the shirt to show the waist band, and so my commute there was just enough time for the waistband line to go away. As a side note, babies are often asked to come without their socks, so that there are no red lines where they were tight on the skin.

    This is also how I handle it when in the theatre. I just change when I get there in the bathroom, before REALLy changing in the shared dressing room, and always put them back on between shows or before I leave. I SHOULD have a spare pair of panties wherever I go, because there have been a handful of times when I was not expecting to have to change for a casting and I was stuck. Yowza....
    posted by Blogger Kage at 8/13/2007 10:13:00 AM  



  • Thanks for answering that so candidly. I know it was a bit of a personal question, but hey, we're all friends here!

    By the way, I saw your girls in Real Simple Family today. Way cute!
    posted by Blogger tracy m at 8/13/2007 08:25:00 PM  



  • tracy m, I get asked modesty questions occasionally on my personal blog, and they usually come across as judgmental and questioning my commitment/morality. I choose not to answer those questions because the tone is such that I don't feel they will accept ANY answer I give, and don't find the forum of my blog an appropriate place to discuss it.

    If you ask in a friend-like way....like..."what would I do in that situation, what does she do?" and accept that this is my lifestyle and that I have already made peace with the fact that my work requires different standards than my religion (much like professional athletes), then I am much more open to discussing it....logistics are way less personal then my own personal decisions/accountability, that's just nobody's business but my own.
    posted by Blogger Kage at 8/14/2007 05:01:00 AM  



  • I would never tell you to go write on your own blog already ! :)
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 8/17/2007 06:04:00 PM  



  • It is nice to know that someone out there is looking after the garment wearing population, although I wonder if they really know what they are looking for.
    posted by Blogger This is Carrie at 8/17/2007 06:05:00 PM  



Post a Comment

<< Home